i ran into this problem today and took me a while to find out what’s wrong with it.. so just in case it could help someone so here it is…
well i think i did mention this a while ago that i started and have been using Windows Live Writer for my blogging need =D
and then i just found out today that every time i go to Tools –> Options… my Windows Live Writer always crashes…
so first thing i did was checking to Windows Live Writer log file.. which is here…
or you can go there by going to Help –>About Windows Live Writer and then click “Show log file”
this is what shown up on it.. and it mentions something here… about
“’WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager’ threw an exception. —> System.ArgumentException: Missing text parameter”
WindowsLiveWriter,1.5128,Fail,00010,22-Mar-2009 02:12:21.746,"Unexpected Error Occurred
An unexpected error has occurred within the application.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager’ threw an exception. —> System.ArgumentException: Missing text parameter
at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager.GlossaryLinkItemFromXml(XmlNode node)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryListView..ctor(IContainer container, Int32 width)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
so after did some googling.. i found these 2 links that answer some of my questions….
special thanks to them because i wouldn’t have known what’s the hell is going on without these 2 posts =D
so anyway.. what happened was
That XML entry in the linkglossary file didn’t have anything in the text field… I guess WLW should have some kind of check so that if the field is empty it moves on instead of throwing an error that keeps menus from popping up. The options menu is also effected by this error.
so now i have to find out where this “linkglossary.xm” file is… and apparently no one said anything about it…
Iš čia matosi, kad programa turi kažkokių bėdų su automatinio susiejimo sąrašu ( Linking Glossary List). Paieška internete tik patvirtino mano prielaidas, tad beliko išsiaiškinti kas per bėdos ir ar galima jas sutvarkyti. Taigi, besiaiškinant paaiškėjo, kad programa pastoviai visais mano aprašytais atvejais kreipiasi į failą linkglossary.xml. Tai yra failas, kuriame saugoma visa informaciją kaip URL nuorodos yra susietos su tekstu. Taigi, ji atsidaręs ir panagrinėjęs pamačiau vieną neatitikimą. Normalus failo įrašo blokas turi atrodyti taip:
so anyway.. after while of going through many folders (because my i don’t know how to use search function in Windows 7 😛 )
i finally found it here!
so after open the file with my trusty Dreamweaver i found where it went wrong!
point 1: this is how it should have been! within the <text></text> should have some text in it but
point 2: this one has nothing in it.. so to fix it.. i just added some random text in it…
like so~! so now save the file in your Dreamweaver or any text editor of your choice and then quit is..
and also close your Windows Live Writer and restart it~!
now you should be able to go to your Tools –> Options… and everything should work the way it’s supposed to be 🙂
Yeah~! another well done job on that…
so anyway… the reason why i have this problem (found out after done with the fix) is because
i tried to take some picture from one of my favorite blog (http://www.dannychoo.com/)
and i accidentally use the Auto-Linking option…
no idea on how i ended up using it but anyway….
as you can see there when you go to Tools –> Options… –> Auto Linking
you should see the “Danny Choo Blog” thing that i added between the <text></text>
now since i don’t need it, i can just highlight it and delete it and then hit OK!
well if you need to keep it then feel free to keep it 🙂
my 2 cents..
i hope in the in the future update, i would like Window Live Writer to do some kinda checking to see if the Text area is filled first or not
so we don’t need to have this problem again…
for me or for anyone who’s using this..
anyway if you find this useful please let me know because it took me a a bit of time to find out what went wrong and stuff~!
Have fun blogging~!